Monday, April 7, 2014

THINK BEFORE YOU SAY AND ACT

We never think of the consequences of our hurting words and haughty bout of reactions even to petty and silly things.  We never think before we say, act or react to the untoward incidents that happen in our lives. When our ego is hurt, we become blind.  Hurt ego makes us demons.  Many a times that which happens as a result of hurt ego is irrevocable actions and reactions.  Hence we are to be very careful and should think before we act and react.  “…let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath …” advises St. James in the Bible (James 1:19).   

I wish to give two incidents to which I am a witness.  When I was posted to a new parish as its Vicar, on the first Sunday of my taking charge, after the Holy Communion Service, a note was given to me as I was coming out to make the announcement.  The note mentioned that a particular person passed away.  I lost my temper but did not react at that time.  I started the announcement that so and so passed away after which I was thinking of adding, “Is this the tradition of this Church?  Why no one let me know of the death before hand”.  But as I announced the name of the person, someone in the first pew asked, “How did you come to know of it?” He then added, “He was staying alone in the house.”  I profusely thanked God for not reacting too soon. 

I was a witness to the second incident.  During a baptism ceremony, the officiating person was offended because when he came out for the sacrament, he saw a lady sitting in the first pew (Our Church tradition is that when the priest comes out from the holy of the holies – we name it madbaha – the congregation is supposed to stand).  Being hurt because of the ‘disrespect’ he announced that everyone should stand during the worship.  The lady sitting in the front did not respond.  The priest shouted and said, “I have told everyone to stand.  You are not supposed to sit during the worship.  Those who cannot stand should go the back of the Church.”  When this is shouted out, the person sitting in the front went to the back row.  After the Service was over, the person came to me crying.  I found that that lady had come directly from the Cancer Care Centre travelling about 150 kms  just to attend her granddaughter’s baptism. She could not stand because of the chemotherapy she has undergone. If only the person who officiated thought that there must be some reason for her to sit! He could have asked, “Why are you sitting?” or ignored thinking himself that there must be some reason!

People make mistakes.  But the actions we take while in a rage will haunt us forever.

Pause and ponder.  Think before you act.  Be patient and try to understand.

You can communicate your opinions with me via email: gvkallumpuram@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment