Thursday, March 27, 2014

YOU ARE BECAUSE OF YOU ALONE

Many people tend to blame others for their wrong practices and bad habits. “I have not studied because my parents are uneducated”, “I am addicted to alcohol because my father is a drunkard or my friends forced me into it”, “I take bribe because everyone else does it” “I ate more because the host compelled me to eat more”, “I hate my brother/sister because my parents love him/her more”.  These type of complaints and comments are heard (and said also) many a times.  These people never take the responsibility of their lives while ‘enjoying’ what they do.

My contention is that we are doing what we are doing not because others compel us to do it, but because we like to do it and do not want to take the responsibility of it. While we know that what we are in is not right, we shirk from the responsibility and put the blame on others.

We are what are because of us alone.  We did not want to study, but instead of taking the responsibility of not studying we put the blame on circumstances.  We want to eat more, but do not want others to know that we love to eat; hence we put the responsibility to the host’s shoulder.

I know two brothers of whom one is addicted to alcohol and the other a teetotaler. When asked why so, the reply of the first was that his father was a drunkard and hence he also became so.  The teetotaler’s comment was interesting.  He said “My father was a drunkard and I have gone through very bad situations because of it. In the childhood itself I have decided, I shall  not touch alcohol which has never given peace in our family.”

Please remember that we are the masters/mistresses of our lives.  Do not put the blame on others or circumstances for our actions and reactions. Be responsible about our words, actions and reactions. 


You can communicate your opinions with me via email: gvkallumpuram@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment