Monday, December 26, 2016

SEARCH, EQUIP, UPDATE

There were two woodsmen living in a village. One day one woodsman challenged another to an all-day tree-chopping contest. The challenger worked very hard, stopping only for a brief lunch break. The other man had a leisurely lunch and took several breaks during the day. At the end of the day, the challenger was surprised and annoyed to find that the other fellow had chopped substantially more wood than he had.

“I don’t get it,” he said. “Every time I checked, you were taking a rest, yet you chopped more wood than I did.” “But you didn’t notice,” said the winning woodsman, “that I was sharpening my ax when I sat down to rest.”

Updating is needed in order to be effective. If a printer still uses the old typesetting tool today, who shall go to him/her - though honest and hard working?    

We may think ourselves to be effective but may not be so. We shall have strengths and weaknesses: fortify the strengths and get rid of the weaknesses.

Open your eyes to see the changes around, read the materials available, discuss with experts in the field, and mutually share with colleagues – search and use all avenues to be updated every day. Otherwise, we shall be like the woman who made cakes of very small size. When asked why a cake of that size, the reply was, “My grandmother used to make it this way and so also my mother. I am using the same oven they were using.”


What do you feel about her – justifying, pity about or critical? Where do we stand in our life – personal and professional? Search ourselves; equip ourselves and update ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment