Friday, October 9, 2015

WHAT DO YOU TAKE FROM THIS WORLD?

A rich Muslim, in deathbed, called his son and told, “My son, I shall not live long. When I die, my body should be given a bath and before it is covered in the white cloths, please wear a pair of my old socks on my leg. This is my ‘osyath’ (last wish).”

Soon the man died and the body was given the ritual bath. When it was about to do the kafan (a length of cloth or an enveloping garment in which a dead person is wrapped for burial), the son brought a pair of socks to be worn on his father’s feet.   Those around the body objected to it, saying; “No socks should be worn on a dead body. It is against the Islamic law.”

“But this is my father’s last wish. Kindly permit me to do it,” the son pleaded.  One of the old persons who was standing nearby said, “Son, you are doing something   against shariah (Islamic Law). Your father who was a true Muslim is not going to get a right burial. If you have any doubt, you call the priest and clarify.”

The priest told the boy, “it is not possible since it is against shariah.”

At that time a friend of his father came forward and told, “Your father gave a sealed envelope to me to be handed over to you after his death. I was thinking of giving it to you after the burial. In case, your father has any further instruction on this matter, this may help.” He then handed it over to the son.

“My son, you know everything about my wealth and it was handed over to you to be used as you wish. You see now, I am not permitted even to wear a pair of socks extra. Our religious rule does not permit us to wear more than three pieces of cloth. (According to the shariah, to shroud the body, three large white sheets of inexpensive material should be laid on top of each other. The body should be placed on top of the sheets. The sheets should then be folded over the body, first the right side and then the left side, until all three sheets have wrapped the body. The shrouding should be secured with ropes, one tied above the head, two tied around the body, and one tied below the feet. The body should then be transported to the mosque (“masjid”) for funeral prayers, known as “Salat al-Janazah.”).  Hence prepare yourself for this day. The wealth you are to leave on the inevitable day be used not just for your selfish purposes, but for the good of others as well. On the day you are to go from this world, you will have only the good deeds to be carried with you to be presented before Allah.


LET US PONDER: WHAT DO WE CARRY TO BE PRESENTED BEFORE THE JUDGE ETERNAL ON THE LAST DAY?

No comments:

Post a Comment